Plagiarism is when a student submits work for assessment, which they claim to be their own but actually contains material that belongs to another person.
How to avoid plagiarising:
- Allow plenty of time to research and write your coursework;
- Ask your tutor straight away if you are not sure what you are doing;
- Keep a record of all sources that you have read/looked at, as well as useful quotes and where they are from;
- Access the Skills Hub to help your knowledge of referencing and plagiarism;
- Access to UNPAC on the NILE site to learn how to avoid Plagiarism or watch this video;
- Access this interactive guide to referencing using the Harvard system;
- Book an appointment with Learning Development to receive free expert guidance and tuition on any academic skill including essay writing, dissertations, critical analysis, etc.
The University of Northampton considers Plagiarism to be a type of Academic Misconduct.
If you have been accused of plagiarism and are facing allegations of academic conduct, please contact us by emailing [email protected] or calling 01604 89 2272.