Academic Advice Frequently Asked Questions

Academic Advice: frequently asked questions

What is Academic Misconduct?

Academic misconduct is any type of cheating that occurs in relation to academic work.  Examples of such cheating are: plagiarism, collusion, falsification, deceit, bribery and misrepresentation.

I have received a letter regarding Academic Misconduct.  What do I do?

Please do not panic. The first thing to do is get in touch with the tutor of the module concerned and have a chat with them.  If you are not satisfied with the outcome of that conversation, you can get in touch with the Students’ Union Academic Policy Advisor at [email protected] and they can help you with what you need to do. Take note of any deadlines you have been given for appeals and so on.  If you don’t wish to contact them, you can access the relevant Academic Misconduct Policy and Appeal Forms here.

I have a Level 1 Appeal – what does that mean?

A Level 1 Appeal means that you have received communication from the University, following an allegation of academic misconduct, to attend a meeting with your academic tutor to discuss the circumstances that have led to the University writing to you.  Following that meeting, if the tutor is still of the opinion that academic misconduct has occurred, a letter confirming that decision will be sent to you telling you what options you have, including how to appeal that decision.  You will have 10 days in which to appeal that decision.

How long do I have to appeal a case?

For a Level 1 appeal, you have 10 days from the date of the letter from the University in which to collect your evidence, complete the Appeal form and submit it.

I’ve received a letter terminating my studies.  Help!

The Students’ Union Academic Policy Advisor can help you determine what can be done about this.  All you need to do is email [email protected]giving your student number and giving as much information as possible.  They will have a look and get back to you as soon as possible.  Be aware of any deadlines that need to be met.

How do I go about postponing my studies? (also known as taking a study break or suspending your studies)

The first thing to do, at the earlier opportunity is to discuss your situation with your Programme Leader.  If you agree that the best thing to do is to postpones your studies, you will need to read the Study Break Policy and then complete the Study Break Form.  These can be found here.

If you need assistance, you can also contact the Students’ Union Advice Service at: [email protected] who will be willing to assist.

I’ve run out of money and need to pay for something urgently.  What do I do?

Firstly, have you contacted the Finance Team through the Student Information Desk?  If you are not successful there, you will need to approach your Faculty Advocate, Sabbatical Officer Team or Personal Tutor who can refer you to the Students’ Union to obtain a small amount of money from the Emergency Hardship Fund. 

Do you provide welfare advice as well as academic advice?

The Students’ Union provides both academic and welfare advice through the Students’ Union.  For academic advice, you can contact the Academic Policy Adviser at [email protected] and for welfare advice you can contact Yuanting, Vice President Welfare and Activities who will be able to help and advise you. 

What rights do I have in private housing?

Briefly, you have the right not to be discriminated against, the right to live in a property that is a safe place to live in and properly maintained, the right to a deposit that is properly protected and the right to appeal against unlawful eviction.  The Students’ Union website offers more detailed information which can be found here.

Will my details and any information I share remain confidential?

General Data Protection Regulations require us to keep your information secure. This means that your confidentiality will be respected, and all appropriate measures will be taken to prevent unauthorised access and disclosure. Only members of staff who need access to relevant personal data will be authorised to do so. Information about you in electronic form will be subject to password and other security restrictions, while paper files will be stored in secure areas with controlled access.

Some processing may be undertaken on behalf of the Students’ Union by an organisation contracted for that purpose. Organisations processing personal data on behalf of the Students’ Union will be bound by an obligation to process personal data in accordance with Data Protection legislation.

If you need to see the Students’ Union’s full privacy statement it can located here.