Minibus and Travel


Minibus and Travel

The Students' Union has a minibus with 15 seats (including driver) available to hire for those participating in Sports Clubs, or Societies. The process to do this is outlined below.


Become a Designated Driver

Any designated driver must initially meet a series of criteria:

  • Over the age of 21;
  • Current holder of a UK driving licence, and have held this licence for at least two years;
  • No convictions;
  • Be a member or associate member of a student group.


The driver must then do the following:

  • Fill in the Driver Declaration Form, before sending it to [email protected];
  • Use the same email address to book a Minibus Driver Assessment. Lasting for around an hour, this will determine if you are confident driving the vehicle. You will need to bring your driving licence and national insurance number, as we will perform a DVLA check.
  • Make sure to read the terms and conditions on the Driver Declaration Form.


Booking the Minibus

  • Once your driver has been approved, please complete the online booking form;
  • You will be sent a confirmation with details of your booking by a member of staff;
  • Collect your minibus key box from Engine Shed reception (includes keys, sat nav, fuel card and emergency breakdown information) and a Movement Form;
  • Complete the Movement Form before your journey (legal requirement) and return it with the keys at the end of your journey to Engine Shed reception.


Please send your requests at least seven days in advance. Bookings are subject to availability, with the Union reserving the right to cancel bookings. For any enquiries, please email [email protected].


Other Resources


Taking Taxis and Trains

If you need to take a taxi or train, you may be able to claim your expenses back. Please get in contact with your relevant coordinator for more information.


Claiming for Petrol

If you need to drive your own car, you can claim petrol expenses. Initially, we ask that you register your vehicle with the Students' Union. If you are driving on behalf of your group, you will need to get pre-authorisation from your respective coordinator. Reimbursement for fuel can then be made at 25p per mile.

Further details are available in the Union''s Driving Your Own Vehicle policy. If you wish to claim mileage, please complete the reimbursement form in advance.